SQUARE in the mid 1960's.
On the plinth in the middle of the road, King
William III sits on a horse riding towards The
Centre with no stirrups. The statue was erected
in 1736, sculptor John Michael Rysbrach (c1693-1770).
The statue was removed for safekeeping during
WWII to the Duke of Beaufort's park at Badminton.
The buildings on two sides of the square
appear as they were built in the days of Queen
Anne but the other two sides were destroyed by
fire in the 1831 riots and
rebuilt. No 37 Queen Square housed the first
American Consulate to be opened in Europe (1792).
Work is in hand to take out the 'New
Western Road' (a 1930's road improvement scheme) and
restore the square to its original state. King William sits
supervising the operations but he has turned 90 degrees -
his originally intended position.
Back to pictures menu page