ST MARY REDCLIFFE CHURCH in the mid 1960's.
This view was taken from Portwall Lane, on the left you can just see the ramp of the new 'temporary' Temple Meads Flyover which was was projected to last for 15 years but was actually taken down and replaced by a 'gyratory' in 1998.
St Mary Redcliffe is the largest parish church in England (since St Nicholas' Yarmouth was destroyed in WWII). It was founded in 12th Century and largely rebuilt 1370 -1520.
One of the church floor brasses shows a man and woman in the costume of about 1500. The woman is Johanna, daughter of Cabot's friend, Richard Amerycke, the Kings collector of Customs in Bristol - after whom, it is contended, America was named.
A third restoration of the church took place between 1840-72 and in 1872 the two upper stages of the spire were rebuilt. The original spire had been destroyed by lightening.
In the 1930's further extensive repairs to the external stonework were required and made possible by a donation of £100,000 by Gilbert Wills, 1st Lord Dulverton.
Back to picture menu page