TEMPLE CHURCH in the mid 1960's.

Temple Church (Holy Cross) was founded in about 1145 by the Knights Templars. The leaning tower is about 4ft. out of perpendicular. The lean started after the tower was rebuilt in about 1460 and although the church was blitzed during World War II, the tower withstood the bombs and fires which raged around it - as did the old Shakespeare Tavern (1636) which is close by - and the leaden statue of Neptune which was in the area at the time but moved to the Centre in 1949.

Back to picture menu page