Henry Herbert (Harry) Wills (1856 - 1922)

Harry Wills shared with his brother George the cost of the large building programme for Bristol University. In addition he purchased the Royal Fort estate in 1917 as a site for the Physics Laboratory - in total he gave 200,000 towards the building and its endowment. In 1920 he gave 100,000 to the Bristol Royal Infirmary but by far his largest benefaction was the foundation of the St. Monica's Home of Rest on Durdham Down - he gave the sum of 1,500,000 - the idea was to provide a home for elderly women who were Anglicans ... preferably with high church leanings (reflecting the devout Anglo-catholic views of his wife). He was also very fond of organ music and therefore many church organs benefited from his support - notably the organs in Clifton College and Wells Cathedral.

His remains were interred in Canford Cemetery, Bristol.

   

back to Wills history page