William Henry Wills (1st Lord Winterstoke) 1830
William Henry Wills became Lord Winterstoke in 1906. He gave the
Bristol Museum and Art Gallery to the City in 1904. He
gave a number of gifts to Bristol University, his old school Mill Hill,
large subscriptions towards the establishment of public
libraries in Bristol,
William entered the business on 1st
January 1848 with a salary of £50 per year.
In 1894 he was returned to Parliament and erected a statue of Edmund
Burke on St Augustine's Parade in Bristol to mark the occasion.
The quote "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good
men to do nothing" is often attributed to Burke.
His estate was valued at £2,548,209 when he died in
back to Wills history page